Thursday, November 13, 2008

Fun with Flan

Just a quick observation about my new neighborhood. The one difference I've noticed living in a predominantly Mexican-American neighborhood is that no matter what grocery store you find yourself in, there is an abundance of flan for sell. All shapes, sizes and flavors. Coffee-flavored flan at Fresh & Easy - who ever heard of such a hybrid? I never realized to what extent flan was a truly popular dessert. I thought it was just one of those cultural things that people talk about but never really eat, like fruit cake for caucasians. My last memory of flan was a flan food fight we had at my high school in the cafeteria. That stuff can really fly, and it's quite buoyant, even against wool-blended plaid skirts. Plus, it stays in its original form during air transit no matter the velocity of your throw, which is nice if you are aiming at a particular person, such as that b***h who had the nerve to invite your boyfriend to Homecoming or that dork who dressed as Xena the Warrior Princess on career day. So I guess what I'm saying is, when in Rome do as the Romans and get yourself some dragonberry flan and call it a day.

1 comment:

  1. Flan... boy does that little word bring back memories best forgotten. My first experience with flan was about 6 years ago. I was eating at the home of a family from Mexico. The Wife was super excited because she made us (my friend and I) her special Flan for dessert. First of all, I was totally full, man could that woman cook! And secondly, living in Utah I had no idea what flan was. She brought it out and served me a piece. I took one look at it and thought, oh my gosh! What the hell is that! I took one bite and I couldn't even swallow it! It was horrible! When I finally forced myself to swallow, I quickly wished I hadn't because I felt my gag reflexes kick in. Let's just say, I barely made it to the bathroom in time... that wonderful meal... *sigh* what a waste!

    ReplyDelete