Friday, October 29, 2010

Why Have Kids?

A friend recently revealed to me their reason for wanting to one day have a kid - to have someone to take care of them when they get old.  A sound argument, but not convincing enough.  I mean, isn't that what hospice workers are for?   I, for one, have never imagined having kids.  Ask anyone in my life with babies, and they'll tell you I DO NOT HOLD THEM.  It's not because I'm afraid I'll break them... a rather cliche excuse if you ask me.  It's because I hate having to put on the 'look at me, I have motherly instincts after all!' song and dance by cooing at them and saying gooey things in a whiny baby voice.  I just don't have it in me.  When I hold a baby it's more like Jeremy Renner in the "Hurt Locker" carrying a bomb he's trying to diffuse.  I know it's gonna go off... but when?  So I grasp it rigidly in my arms with a look of terror on my face and try not to make any sudden moves. 

Yet despite my inherent fear of motherhood and pudgy, diaper-sporting mini people, there is one reason and one reason only I would want one of my own - to have someone to dress up for Halloween.  Yes, that's right.  Just as my mom dressed me in fabulous homemade bumblebee and Snow White costumes, I too want to take my little person and slap a pirate hook on their hand... a tiara on their head... a wart on their nose... wings on their back... a stinger on their butt... 

Perhaps more importantly, I want to raid their candy loot.  When I was little I informed my mother that the only candy off limits in my stash was the Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.  And every year, without fail, I'd catch her in the act.  Once she just breathed on me and, smelling the unmistakable mix of chocolate and peanut butter, I called her out with tears streaming down my face.  'How could you?!  I told you you could have all the Almond Joys and 3 Musketeers!'  Another time I found the orange and black wrappers in her bed, crinkled up and stowed away under the sheets after I caught her by surprise.  Me: 'Mom, are you eating something in bed?'  Mom: (With mouth full)  'Hmm?  No.  (Swallow)  Not me.  (Another swallow)  Why do you ask?'  Of course, as a mom I'll learn from such errors.  I will only eat my child's Halloween Reese's when they're at school and will promptly burn the wrapper in the fireplace.  Or is down the garbage disposal better?  The shredder?  Should I just eat the wrapper too? 

So there you have it.  Blackheart's reasoning for having kids.  A selfish reason?  Maybe.  But as I was getting dinner at the Subway in Flagstaff, Arizona tonight and a short, chubby Mexican boy wearing a muscle-bound Batman costume came swaggering in (after I just finished reading "Little Bee" none-the-less!) I thought to myself, 'Who cares?  Kids in masks and capes are freakin' cute.'  The best part is, when I told him, "Nice costume," and he turned to me and confessed, "This is my favorite," I saw his mom's proud grin in the corner of my eye.

4 comments:

  1. Monday, all those Reese's cups will be 50% off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my reason for having them is because i need more studio assistants. but if they helped and wore costumes, that would really make it worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! It is funny you mention the mother-candy-stealers. My 7 yr old daughter left a piece of candy by my computer. I thought.. finders keepers! Right? BIGGEST mistake!!! She asked me when she got home from school.. then an hour long tantrum followed with kicking and screaming and all of the above... and then some. I had to laugh a bit.. it was ridiculous! Well.. now I know... they tally up their candy now. Well... maybe I still have hope with my 3 yr old :)(If their is something other than smarties after his older sisters trade out the good stuff!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just want to highlight the more bullshit reasons that have sustained our sad species to its sad rubicon. The free labor/retirement fund crap, along with looking normal/shutting your social up. Seriously it's like you have developmental milestons right up until you get some kids yourself. Looking the world squarely in the eye, and accepting the well-rounded pessimism of the wise, I say along with Flaubert " May my entire flesh perish and may I transmit to no one the aggravations and the disgrace of existence"

    ReplyDelete